TO ALL CUPE CHARTERED ORGANIZATIONS
Dear Sisters and Brothers:
IN SOLIDARITY WITH FIRST PEOPLES
On June 21, National Aboriginal Day, we…
- Continue our involvement in campaigns related to Aboriginal injustices through our CUPE National and Provincial Aboriginal Councils for Dudley George, freedom for Leonard Peltier and support of land claims.
- Remember the collective struggles and celebrate achievements of First Peoples.
- Renew our commitment to First Peoples representation in all workplaces, all levels of employment, assist and guide in union decision-making.
- Reaffirm commitment to continue to fight for equality, justice, full inclusion and the right to self-government and respect for treaties and other agreed-to Aboriginal rights.
- Challenge with immediate action, racist stereotypes and myths about tax exemption, free education, reverse discrimination and the erosion of seniority.
- Strengthen our commitment to partnership agreements, aligning ourselves with Aboriginal institutions and battling under-representation of First Peoples in our union and workplaces. Strengthen the fight for a more comprehensive literacy strategy for First Peoples.
- Advocate for safe drinking water, proactively educate First Peoples to the potential effects and impacts of public/private partnerships on reserves.
- Continue to support all campaigns and actions on justice for indigenous peoples worldwide.
Join us as we celebrate National Aboriginal Day, a special day to celebrate the unique heritage, cultures and contributions of First Nations, Inuit and Métis people in Canada.
First Peoples: Aboriginal peoples in Canada are recognized in the 1982 Canadian Constitution Act, as the Indians (First Nations), Métis and Inuit. The term “First Peoples” is often used synonymously.
You can view the First Peoples poster “We embrace diversity as part of our way of ensuring harmony with each other and with Mother Earth” on CUPE’s website here. You can also obtain free copies of the poster by sending your request to the Equality Branch at email@example.com.