Warning message

Please note that this page is from our archives. There may be more up-to-date content about this topic on our website. Use our search engine to find out.

I am a CUPE member. I want to change where I live and where I work. Can I take my seniority with me?

Probably not. Unless you work for a nation-wide employer, like Air Canada, CBC, etc, when you leave your job, you leave your seniority behind.

That might seem like a disappointment, but imagine what it would be like if anyone in any CUPE workplace could displace anyone with less seniority at any other CUPE workplace.

I want to change where I live and where I work. Can you help me find a CUPE job?

We cannot. CUPE members work in more than 2200 workplaces across Canada. While we agree that providing contact information for all 2200 CUPE locals would be a helpful service, it would not be fair to the thousands of women and men who volunteer their time as local executives, because in addition to legitimate queries, they would also be inundated with spam, junk mail and phone solicitations.

CUPE tends to represent workers working for school boards, hospitals and municipal government. We also represent worker on university campuses, libraries, social service agencies, and a number of other sectors. Those would be good places to start.