This document provides a checklist of ways to advance LGBTTI rights through the collective agreement.
Your collective agreement should:
- Include gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation as prohibited grounds of discrimination and harassment.
- Have strong anti-harassment and violence prevention language that addresses homophobia, transphobia and heterosexism.
- Treat same-sex and opposite-sex relationships the same. LGBTTI workers and their families should have entitlements equal to other workers under benefits, pensions, leaves (family, bereavement, marriage, parental), tuition subsidies, relocation expenses, travel passes, legal services and other policies, programs and clauses related to partners and dependents. Qualifying rules like proof of relationship and length of cohabitation must not discriminate.
- Cover prescribed medication, treatments and medical leave for in vitro fertilization, insemination, hormone therapy and other reproductive health issues.
- Cover sex reassignment treatments, medication, counseling and related health services and products such as hormone therapy, hair removal (electrolysis), breast prosthesis, wigs, voice classes (speech therapy), medical-related travel expenses and other gender transition-related costs.
- Provide leave of absence (paid, flexible and without loss of service or seniority) and strong return to work and accommodation for workers undergoing a gender transition.
- Provide safe change rooms, washrooms and other gendered spaces.
- Use gender-neutral and transgender-inclusive language. Ensure that the worker’s chosen name and pronoun are used in the workplace and workplace-related documents.
- Ensure that dress codes, uniforms and other clothing rules do not have a negative impact on transgender workers.
- Protect the confidentiality of LGBTTI workers, prohibiting anyone from sharing information about a worker’s identity without the express permission of the individual.
 LGBTTI is short for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual and intersex.