(Yarmouth) Members of Canadas largest union will converge on Yarmouth beginning Sunday, June 1 for the CUPE Nova Scotia provincial convention.
The convention is being held at the Mariner Centre in Yarmouth, with official proceedings to get underway at 10:00 am, Monday June 2 and run through to Wednesday, June 4.
The Canadian Union of Public Employees is celebrating its 40th anniversary at this years convention. Highlights of this year’s convention include:
- Darrell Dexter - Provincial NDP Leader, 11:30 am, June 2nd
- Paul Moist CUPE Manitoba President, 2:30 pm, June 2nd
- Judy Darcy - CUPE National President, 9:30 am, June 3rd (After 12 years as national president, Darcy recently announced shell be stepping down in October)
- Rick Clarke - President, Nova Scotia Federation of Labour, 2:00 pm, June 3rd
- Claude Gnreux - CUPE National Secretary-Treasurer, 2:30 pm, June 3rd
Key issues to be debated this year include the upcoming provincial election, P3s and the privatization of health care and other public services, international trade deals and the impact on public services and more.
Betty Jean Sutherland, President, CUPE Nova Scotia - (902) 759-6382 (Cell)
John McCracken, CUPE Communications Representative - (902) 222-8457 (Cell)