What is clear language?
- An approach to communication
- An attitude that
- respects the reader
- responds to the reader’s needs
- A process; not a set of rules.
Why use clear language?
- Unclear messages waste time and cause confusion.
- Because respect for the reader is so important to clear language, the idea that we might be “dumbing down” a text does not fit at all with this approach.
- Readers have different reading skills.
- Understanding is a right!
The goal that matters most is in the results we get: did our readers understand what we wanted to communicate?cg/cope491