Warning message

Please note that this page is from our archives. There may be more up-to-date content about this topic on our website. Use our search engine to find out.

The Ontario Labour Relations Board has fined the Toronto District School Board $150,000 for failing to provide Gloria Lucas with proper training.

Lucas, a custodian with 20 years on the job, died in June 2002, after inhaling chlorine gas created when she mixed bleach with a toilet bowl cleaner.

“My mother wasn’t protected at work,” her daughter, Cheryl Lucas D’Silva told a Toronto media outlet. “She’s a custodian going there to do a [safe] job, and her employer didn’t ensure that she was able to do that.”

The board heard that Lucas hadnt received chemical handling training since the 1980s.

“If she had had the proper training, this accident might have been averted,” said CUPE Local 4400 representative Bill Young.

Board officials consider the fine substantial but DSilva told the media the family has no closure and feels angry.