TEMPORARY SYSTEMS ANALYST (SOFTWARE DEVELOPER)
Individuals interested are invited to apply for the temporary position of Systems Analyst (Software Developer) to work from the Technology Branch of the Finance and Administration Department at National Office located in Ottawa, Ontario. This assignment will be effective
December 1, 2021 and is expected to end on May 31, 2022.
The Canadian Union of Public Employees is Canada’s largest labour union with over 700,000 members across the country, with offices in more than 70 locations and an annual operating budget of over $200 million.
Who can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad. If you meet the qualifications listed below, we invite you to email your résumé and cover letter to our Human Resources Department at email@example.com.
Under the direction of the Senior Officer (Team Lead Software Solutions), this position in primarily responsible for the analysis, design, programming, implementation, documentation, support and administration of computer applications and databases in accordance with industry trends and CUPE’s IT strategy and direction. Much of this position’s work is carried out on a project basis.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Participate as a project team member in the delivery of new and modified automated information applications to support the needs of the users.
- Work with the team, meet with stakeholders to capture and document requirements needed to implement a solution to meet the organization’s needs; define and document proposed solution design based on documented requirements.
- Develop and modify computer/software programs based on approved design to produce a high-quality working application, including conducting technical testing of the application and creating appropriate documentation and user guides.
- Resolve and implement change requests to existing applications as a result of identified problems or urgent modifications to existing functionality that cannot be accommodated through the normal planning process.
- Work in collaboration with the teams and other development team members to ensure quality code and ensure that best practices are being implemented in all stages of development.
- Participate in all phases of software development life cycle including analysis, design, development, testing and support.
- Provide technical advice and support to users, including creating ad-hoc reports, data analysis and correction, training and problem solving.
- Other related duties, as assigned.
- University or community college graduate in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or a relevant equivalent degree;
- Six or more years of experience in implementation of 3-Tier Architectures, Client Server Architectures, N-Tier Architecture, and Service Oriented Architecture in Microsoft Technologies;
- Five or more years of experience with Design patterns such as MVC and Unity IOC, Singleton Patterns Partial views, Web API and Entity Framework;
- Five or more years of experience in the Microsoft Stack including Microsoft’s Azure;
- Two or more years of experience developing Web Mobile applications that work on multiple device platforms;
- Two or more years of experience with creating and delivering reports using SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services);
- One or more year of experience with creating PowerShell scripts;
- Aware of DevOps practices;
- Project-based experience designing and working with n-tier architectures (UI, Business Logic Layer, Data Access Layer) along with some experience with service-oriented architectures (SOA);
- Experienced with design practices (object modeling, use cases, activity diagrams and UML);
- A solid understanding of testing, installation and migration procedures;
- Advanced MS/SQL programming experience; strong database design and programming skills in a SQL Server environment; experience with SQL Server Integration Services is an asset;
- Knowledge of Team Foundation Server and experience with VSTS System configuration methods and Build Processes;
- Knowledge of SharePoint Online for the purposes of development/supporting sites;
- Ability to communicate clearly with stakeholders, end users and project managers;
- Track record of working as a team player and demonstrate that he/she can work in a collaborative and time-pressured environment;
- Self-motivated, independent, detail-oriented and have strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to assess and manage competing priorities;
- Available to work weekends as necessary, some travel may be required.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT as set out in the collective agreement between CUPE and the Canadian Staff Union National Office Component.
WEEKLY SALARY RANGE: $2,162.93 to $2,210.55
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary is $2,162.93 (as of January 1, 2021). CUPE offers a significant benefits package including a superior Defined Benefits Pension Plan and an excellent Extended Health and Dental Care Plan, Prescription Drugs, Vision Care, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability coverage and a monthly transportation allowance.
As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, CUPE encourages applications from qualified members of the five designated groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people and LGBTQ2+ people. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.