TEMPORARY SENIOR OFFICER
Individuals interested are invited to apply for the temporary position of Senior Officer in the Communications Branch of the National Services Department, at the CUPE National Office, located in Ottawa, Ontario. This assignment will be effective immediately and is expected to continue until June 3, 2022.
The Senior Communications Officer, working as part of the CUPE Communications Branch, will work with other CUPE staff and leadership to help convey CUPE’s viewpoint to members and the public. The Senior Officer will be primarily responsible for supporting the National Secretary-Treasurer and her office in their communications, including speeches, social media, video, and media relations.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Under the direction of the Branch Director, the successful applicant will be required to perform some or all of the following functions:
- In collaboration with other branches and with the National Secretary-Treasurer’s Office, write speeches and remarks to be delivered by the National Secretary-Treasurer at a variety of in-person and virtual events.
- Develop and implement a strategy to increase the profile of the National Secretary-Treasurer in the media.
- Write and edit statements, press releases and social media content for the National Secretary-Treasurer.
- Provide counsel to the National Secretary-Treasurer’s Office on communications needs, including strategies, techniques, and tactics.
- Contribute to CUPE’s national publications and campaigns.
- A degree in communications or journalism or equivalent practical experience.
- Extensive experience writing speeches for elected political or labour officers.
- Familiarity with media operations.
- Ability to write clearly and quickly.
- Understanding of trade union communications functions.
- Interest and ability in production of videos (filming and/or editing).
- Free to travel and work weekends and holidays, as required.
- Above average oral and written communication skills in English.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT as currently set out in the collective agreement between CUPE and the Canadian Staff Union National Office Component.
Weekly Salary: $2,318.94
Persons interested should send their application and updated résumé, quoting job posting CSU-2201C, to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com, no later than April 1, 2022.
CUPE offers a significant benefits package including a superior Defined Benefits Pension Plan and an excellent Extended Health and Dental Care Plan, Prescription Drugs, Vision Care, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability coverage and a monthly transportation allowance.
As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, CUPE encourages applications from qualified members of the five designated groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people and LGBTQ2+ people. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.