As part of the strategic directions adopted at the national convention in Montreal, CUPE delegates voted in favor of adopting 2010 as the Year of the Steward. Across the country CUPE locals are being creative in the ways they acknowledge the important work of their stewards.
In Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Gayle Phillips is president of local 894 which represents 253 members at the group health centre. During the H1N1 crisis the Sault Ste. Marie group health centre was noted as being one of the most efficient health centers in the country. Local 894 has four stewards, “we wanted to find a way to honor our stewards, so we decided to order CUPE jackets for them,” said Phillips.
In the Year of the Steward, watch for:
- CUPE’s new Steward Learning Series, starting in spring 2010
- A new CUPE steward pin
- A new Steward Handbook
- Steward Corners at division conventions, where stewards can connect
- A Steward Corner on the CUPE website
- On-line profiles of CUPE stewards
- An electronic steward newsletter
- Division, District Council and Local events for stewards