CUPE Local 3855 members, all women, have been on strike since April 20. The workers will receive a 7% wage increase, retroactive to August 31, 2000.
They also received increases to their wage grids as follows:
- Entry level wages move from $7.14 an hour to $8.36
- After working 1,820 hours, wages move from $7.91 to $9.05 an hour
- After working 3,640 hours, wages move from $8.67 to $9.74 an hour
- After working 5,460 hours, wages move from $9.44 to $10.44 an hour
- After working 7,280 hours, wages move from $10.20 to $11.15
The wage grid increases are retroactive to September, 2000. They will also receive an additional wage bump in September, 2001.
The increases bring the Queens County workers in line with Lunenburg home care workers.
The workers also gained a me too clause which means if the provincial government gives their employees a wage increase, they receive it as well.
The employer removed its demand for the elimination of a paid meal break.