BURNABY—Representatives of the Community Social Services Bargaining Association met earlier this week to nail down the timing and process for upcoming ratification votes, which will be held between mid-March and the third week of April.
Members should check with their respective local executives for information regarding dates for the ratification vote for their local. A comprehensive report outlining the terms and conditions of the proposed collective agreement will be made available to members later next week.
In addition to producing written documents detailing the contents of the tentative contract, the CSSBA will be holding a one-hour telephone town hall on Thursday, March 21 at 7 p.m.
The town hall provides all CSS workers in CSSBA’s ten member unions with an excellent opportunity to hear background information on the proposed contract and to ask questions of bargaining team representatives.
In preparation for the town hall, members are asked to make sure that their union has their up-to-date phone contact information.
The tentative agreement was reached early on March 2 following a marathon, 13-day bargaining session.
Highlights of the agreement include:
- Wage increases for all employees (1.5% on April 1, 2013; an extra 1% for all step 1 employees on April 1, 2013; and a 1.5% increase on January 1, 2014;
- A labour market adjustment review;
- Mileage increases to $0.45 per kilometre;
- Meal allowance increases;
- Employer paid Criminal Record check for continued employment;
- Improved coverage for hearing aids;
- Improved language for Union Rights and Layoff and Recall.
Stay tuned for more detailed information on the proposed contract and the ratification vote schedule next week.