Paul Moist spoke to almost 1,000 delegates at the Ontario Division convention in Niagara Falls May 22.
Moist’s speech drew applause and a standing ovation when he pledged the union to “fight privatization wherever it happens anywhere in this country.”
In his speech, Moist:
- offered support to CUPE protestors from the University of Toronto charged following a demonstration against tuition fee hikes;
- praised CUPE members in Newfoundland and Labrador and Saskatchewan who voted a per capita increase to hire a full time president;
- congratulated locals at Carleton University and Kawartha Lakes whose strikes beat back concessions;
- pledged support for Ontario school board employees who are bargaining centrally with the Ministry of Education;
- decried Ontario Health Minister George Smitherman’s cynical offer to wear adult diapers for a day;
- called on the McGuinty Liberals to end competitive bidding in home care;
- denounced the government for forging ahead with the P3 hospital in Brampton, despite cost overruns and delays.