Persons interested are invited to apply for the position of Part-Time Secretary to work at the Windsor Area Office in Windsor, Ontario.
Under general direction, the Part-Time Secretary assists with the day-to-day operation of the office and provides administrative and clerical support including, but not limited to: word processing, disseminating information, and determining priorities.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Applicants should have a very good knowledge of general office work and be able to perform with accuracy and minimum supervision, the following duties, among others:
- Set up, compose, type, proofread and process to completion, and where required, send for translation: correspondence, reports, collective agreements, proposals, presentations, news releases, forms, and other documents on a timely basis. Initiate follow-up where required.
- Receive, screen and direct calls, respond to general enquiries and provide general information to staff and local unions.
- Receive, process and distribute incoming mail and e-mails; review correspondence and refer to appropriate person(s), scan and forward if necessary; initiate a reply as required in a timely fashion; process outgoing mail and courier deliveries according to shipping requirements.
- Perform receptionist functions such as: responding to or directing telephone inquiries to appropriate staff members; receiving and welcoming visitors, adhering to security sign-in procedures, directing visitors to appropriate staff member or location, opening and/or closing switchboard; and training other staff on these functions, as required.
- Coordinate travel and accommodation arrangements ensuring adequate timing of schedules.
- Coordinate conferences, workshops, meetings and appointments; may include registration of participants, where required; attend meetings/conferences and take minutes as required; photocopy and compile material/documents.
- Produce and prepare materials for conferences, workshops, meetings, etc. and, where required, maintain an inventory of regular materials.
- Maintain accurate filing systems (electronic and hard copy) including archiving and disposing as required; maintain orderly and updated library reference materials, and maintain records and mailing contact lists.
- Assist, where required, in the operations of the office: maintaining appropriate inventory of office supplies, material, equipment and office furniture; processing and verifying orders, monitoring office security and emergency systems, overseeing office premises (parking permits, lighting, keys), where a facility is owned by CUPE, this would include ensuring the maintenance of the building.
- Assist with office orientation for employees on office policies, procedures and equipment.
- Create and/or maintain, update, perform searches, retrieve information and generate reports from various databases, as necessary.
- Receive, verify and process invoices for payment and submit cheque authorization, where required.
- Monitor petty cash expenditures, maintain adequate receipts and records for accounting purposes, and ensure that petty cash funds are replenished on a timely basis, as required.
- Disseminate information as appropriate, and where required, post most current information on website.
- Provide back-up assistance to other staff, as required.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Two years related work experience, ideally in a union environment;
- Business or community college graduate in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- General knowledge of:
- administrative procedures;
- Internet research techniques;
- databases and data management;
- basic accounting, bookkeeping, or business math;
- role-based operational focus, where required.
- Ability to:
- speak and write at an above average level in English;
- communicate effectively in a respectful and cooperative manner with the public, all staff, members, contractors, etc.;
- perform basic mathematical functions;
- work with minimal supervision;
- maintain confidentiality;
- meet deadlines and/or establish priorities while working in a high pressure work setting;
- work with a high degree of accuracy;
- exemplify good organizational skills;
- solve problems, identify and correct discrepancies, and follow guidelines, where applicable;
- keyboard/type at 50 wpm;
- use advanced MS Office Suite and learn new software.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT as set out in the collective agreement between CUPE and COPE Local 491.
HOURLY Salary Range: $44.48 to $45.42
Persons interested should send their application and updated résumé to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com, no later than November 5, 2021.