THE CUPE NATIONAL EXECUTIVE BOARD WILL:
- Condemn recent raiding action by Unifor.
- Reaffirm its full support for UNITE HERE Local 75 as they defend their union and membership against the recent raid filed by Unifor at the Marriott St. Regis Hotel in Toronto.
- Request the Canadian Labour Congress and its affiliates to provide support to UNITE HERE in the face of this raid.
- On February 28, 2019, Unifor filed an application with the Ontario Labour Relations Board to represent workers at the Marriott St. Regis Hotel in Toronto.
- These workers are already represented by UNITE HERE Local 75.
- Unifor has made similar moves against UNITE HERE Local 75 in the past 14 months.
- This activity constitutes raiding and is in contravention of the constitution of the Canadian Labour Congress.
- CUPE has a long history of opposing raiding activities, and strongly believes that unions should be organizing workers who do not already have the benefit of union representation.