- NB Council of Nursing Home Unions, comprised of 35 Locals of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Media conference to announce the campaign plan developed at this weeks annual convention, which will include events in 35 communities across the province.
- Rodd Miramichi River Lodge, 1809 Water Street, Miramichi, NB.
- Friday, May 11, 10:00 am.
- CUPE members say that due to a lack of commitment to fairness on the part of employers and the province, negotiations are going nowhere fast. Conciliation dates have been set for May and June. Outstanding issues are primarily related to workload, its effect on the quality of care, and include staffing standards (short-staffing has become the norm, rather than the exception), sick days, pensions and wages.
These issues have a direct impact on the quality of care in nursing homes. A plan was approved by the membership at the Councils annual convention to turn up the heat on employers and on the province.
For more information:
Michel Boudreau, President, NB Council of Nursing Home Unions,
Gordon Black, CUPE Nursing Homes Coordinator,
(Please note that the above numbers are valid only until May 11.)
Laurie Kingston, CUPE Communications
(613) 266-1415 (cell)