- Workers contact the union and meet with a union organizer.
- Workers sign cards applying for membership in the union, and authorizing the union to represent them in negotiations with their employer. There is no charge to sign a CUPE membership card in Manitoba.
- If at least 40 per cent of the workers sign membership cards, the Manitoba Labour Board will hold a vote to see if workers want a union.*
- The MLB holds a secret ballot vote. Anyone who is in the bargaining unit the union applied to represent can vote. If the majority (50%+1) of workers who cast ballots vote to unionize, the union is certified.
- The union will serve notice to your employer to begin bargaining your first contract.
*If more than 65 per cent of the workers sign membership cards, the MLB will certify the union without holding a vote. Go to step 5.
The local certification process is confidential. Employers are not entitled to know who signed cards. Votes are held by secret ballot.
Join CUPE today