Use this fact sheet for quick links to research resources and to learn how research can help your local.
For social services locals, it is important to maintain up-to-date files on employers including financial information, funding sources, the names of the members of the board of directors, and the by-laws. This research will help you apply leverage in order to achieve better results at the bargaining table and protect quality social services.
Why is this information useful?
You can use this information to build a case at the bargaining table for better wages and benefits, identify issues that will affect working conditions and quality social services, or ensure all members working for your employer are part of the union. Strengthening knowledge about your employer can help you campaign for better wages and working conditions and higher quality social services.
What do you need to know?
Your first step is to verify how your employer is structured and regulated. Is your employer a corporation—if yes, where are they registered? Is your employer a registered charity? If so, they are required to disclose a lot of information publicly. You want to get as much information as possible about your employer. This will help you understand where to focus your energy in order to achieve your goals.
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Charities Listings
- Financial information for charities
- List of publicly available corporate registration information in your province
- Information on federal not-for-profit corporations
- Application process for documents on federal corporations
- Information on how to submit a provincial or municipal freedom of information request in Ontario
- Information on how to make a federal freedom of information request
- Listing of legal decisions in various jurisdictions
Freedom of information resources:
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Prince Edward Island
- Nova Scotia
- New Brunswick
- British Columbia
General search tools:
- The Google Advanced Search allows you to search one particular website or domain
- Phone number, address look up
- Search for members of management and boards of directors