There are many groups who are not well served by our communities. Redressing these inequities must be a top priority.
- Racial inequities are particularly dramatic in many urban centres. Public services can play a vital role in meeting the diverse needs of our communities.
- We need community programs and meaningful policies to counter gay-bashing and racism.
- We need to address the needs of the poor and the homeless. More public and affordable housing is desperately needed. Rent control legislation is an important tool to increase access to affordable housing.
- More public investment in community centers and municipal recreation programs is essential for our youth, especially inner city youth. Studies show that neglecting youth recreation needs now will be far more costly in the long run.
- Youth need more direct involvement in the running of communities, including direct participation in decision making. Community participation is a building block to better futures.
- Immigration policies must be monitored and we must fight for policies that encourage diverse communities.
- Investing in early child care programs helps all family members, and is vital to reducing social and economic inequities, as well as giving our children a good start in life.
- We need to invest in changes to make our communities more accessible to the disabled.