SUDBURY CUPE Ontario president Sid Ryan will offer his support to Sudbury Paramedics, upset about the Regions hiring practices after 13 full-time employees from the Sudbury and District Ambulance Service, with between 10 and 35 years of dedicated service, were not given positions with the newly created Region of Sudbury Emergency Medical Services. Another 12 employees were only offered temporary positions. Ryan and local members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), will hold a rally outside Sudbury Regional Council at 6:00 p.m., tomorrow, Wednesday, November 8th.
This smacks of discrimination, says Sid Ryan, CUPE Ontario president. When experienced and dedicated employees are discarded like rubbish, we have to get to the bottom of this and we will.
When downloading/transition was announced, both George Lund and Frank Mazzuka publicly stated there would be no job losses now at least thirteen experienced, dedicated and respected paramedics have been discarded, while others from outside the region, and people who already had full-time employment, have been handed new positions, says Collin.
Local 2412 had been given assurances by the new Region of Sudbury EMS that Sudbury Paramedics would be given priority in hiring.
(Attention Journalists/News/Photo Editors: An information picket and rally will be held outside Tom Davies Square in Sudbury at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, November 8th)
For further information, please contact:
Sid Ryan, President CUPE Ontario
Jacques Collin, President, Local 2412
(705) 674-7557 - (705) 692-5097
Anna Sweet, CUPE National Rep.
Robert Lamoureux, Communications