Time for education, bargaining, and action!
- Educate yourself and your members about trans issues to help make your workplace safer and trans-inclusive. Invite a trans activist to speak to your local. Ask for union education courses and equality presentations in your region.
- Check out the interviews with CUPE members Deidra Roberts and Martine Stonehouse in the Queer Story Archives at onmyplanet.ca
- Bargain language to specify that your “no discrimination” clause covers gender identity and gender expression. Negotiate paid leave and other benefits for transitioning members.
- Check out CUPE’s Bargaining LGBTTI Rights: A checklist for collective agreement language, part of our Bargaining equality resource collection.
- Support efforts to establish or improve public funding of gender reassignment surgery and other health care services for trans people.
- Participate on November 20 Transgender Day of Remembrance events in your community.
- Share information about your activities, including photographs, to promote solidarity and inspire others to take up the fight. Send information to firstname.lastname@example.org