The Canadian Union of Public Employees is Canada’s largest labour union with over 700,000 members across the country, with offices in more than 70 locations and an annual operating budget of over $200 million.
Applications are invited for the bilingual position of Senior Labour Relations Advisor, Human Resources to work in the Human Resources Department at the National Office located in Ottawa, Ontario. If you meet the qualifications listed below, we invite you to email your resume and cover letter to our Human Resources department at: email@example.com.
Under the general direction of the Managing Director of the Human Resources Department, and reporting directly to the Director of Labour Relations, the bilingual Senior Labour Relations Advisor has direct responsibility for labour relations reporting, policy and collective agreements interpretation and various labour relations activities. The bilingual Senior Labour Relations Advisor also ensures consistent organizational practices in these areas, so that CUPE management is best equipped to respond to various demands and needs of the organization.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Research analyze and report on key issues related to collective bargaining, jurisprudence and labour relations issues.
- Develop effective document management processes for the labour relations archives and ongoing documentation.
- Provide strategic leadership by identifying appropriate labour relations strategies, trends and opportunities.
- Develop effective processes for the consistent administration of collective agreements and associated policies.
- Organize and conduct employee information meetings and participate actively on various joint committees.
- Provide advice and assistance to CUPE management and staff, with respect to labour relations issues, and the interpretation and administration of relevant policies and employment legislation, and make recommendations, as required.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with CUPE staff, managers and bargaining units.
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports, as required.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
This position requires a dynamic individual with exceptional communication and leadership abilities, and a demonstrated ability to manage stressful situations; the successful candidate must be a flexible and multi-tasking team player.
The successful applicant must have a minimum of seven years of broad and progressively more senior labour relations experience in a unionized environment.
The position requires:
- An undergraduate degree specializing in labour relations, business, or a related area of study or a combination of experience and studies;
- Experience in all aspects of labour relations (research, bargaining, policies, arbitration);
- Knowledge of information technology, including effective working skills of MS Office;
- Knowledge of data analysis and basic research skills;
- Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality and professionalism;
- Proven ability to build strong working relationships;
- Excellent time and project management skills; strong problem identification and problem-solving skills and demonstrated abilities in change management processes;
- Excellent conceptual and strategic thinking ability;
- Above average oral and written communications skills in both official languages (English and French);
- Free to travel and work weekends and holidays, as required.
$ 111,423.52 (plus 7% bilingual bonus)
CUPE offers a significant benefits package including a superior Defined Benefits Pension Plan and an excellent Extended Health and Dental Care Plan, Prescription Drugs, Vision Care, Life Insurance, and Long Term Disability coverage.