BILINGUAL PAYROLL SPECIALIST
Qualified individuals are invited to apply for the bilingual position of Payroll Specialist, assigned to work in the Accounting Branch of the Finance and Administration Department at the CUPE National Office located in Ottawa, Ontario.
Applicants must have several years of current payroll experience and a thorough knowledge of general accounting procedures. Good organizational skills, oral and written communication skills in both official languages, and good business math skills are essential, as well as a high degree of accuracy and self-motivation.
The primary duties of this position will be related to payroll. However, the successful candidate must also be capable of assisting in other accounting and administrative areas within the Finance & Administration Department as required.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Under the general direction of the Accountant of the Payroll section, applicants must be able to perform the following duties, among others, with a minimum of supervision:
- Process payroll information to ensure timely and accurate processing of a bi-weekly payroll for CUPE staff, locals, and divisions on CUPE payroll.
- Calculate appropriate payroll deductions and taxable benefits; enter payroll data and process payroll up to and including the transmission to the bank.
- Process monthly remittances and garnishments and issue records of employment.
- Administer bookkeeping procedures as assigned; perform mathematical calculations and generate statistics, tables, and documents as required.
- Assist the Accountants with year-end responsibilities, including annual preparation of T4s, reconciliations and year-end reporting.
- Draft replies in response to inquiries, requests, and correspondence, and provide general information to staff, as required.
- Generate various reports necessary to produce the payroll cheque run and cheque register; process adjustments, as required.
- Record journal entries for posting; print monthly reports; create and use spreadsheets for various accounting applications.
- Sort, process, verify, and record transactions, which may include invoices, cheques, and/or deposits with timeliness and accuracy.
- Assist other bookkeepers in the Finance and Administration Department, as required.
- Verify and input data on computer, extract, and match information, as required.
- Operate computer, calculator, copier/scanner, and any other office equipment.
- Perform other related duties, as may be assigned.
- A certified Payroll Compliance Practitioner with a Business College or Community College diploma in a related field, and three (3) to five (5) years of directly-related payroll experience or an equivalent combination of education and directly-related payroll experience; and
- Advanced knowledge of:
- General accounting procedures;
- Excel, Word, and various accounting software.
- General knowledge of:
- Internet research techniques;
- Databases and data management;
- Role-based operational focus, where required.
- Ability to:
- Speak and write at an above average level in both official languages;
- Demonstrate knowledge of Canadian federal and provincial payroll regulations;
- Communicate effectively with the public, all levels of staff, members, contractors;
- Work with all staff, members and others in a respectful and cooperative manner;
- Perform relevant mathematical functions;
- Work with minimal supervision;
- Maintain confidentiality
- Meet deadlines and/or establish priorities while working in a high pressure work setting;
- Work with a high degree of accuracy;
- Exemplify good organizational skills;
- Exemplify excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in teams;
- Solve problems, identify and correct discrepancies, and follow guidelines, where applicable;
- Keyboard/type at 50 wpm;
- Use advanced MS Office Suite and learn new software.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT as set out in the collective agreement between CUPE and COPE Local 491.
WEEKLY SALARY RANGE: $1,423.09 to $1,451.36 (plus 7% bilingual bonus)
Persons interested should send their application, and an updated résumé, to the CUPE Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than December 17, 2021.
As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, CUPE encourages applications from qualified members of the five designated groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people and LGBTQ2+ people. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. As part of its commitment to Employment Equity, CUPE encourages applications from qualified members of the five designated groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people and LGBTQ2+ people. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.