Individuals interested are invited to apply for the bilingual position of Clerk-Typist to work in the Communications Branch of the National Services Department at the CUPE National Office located in Ottawa, Ontario.
Under general direction, the Clerk-Typist performs clerical services to support office operations and processes, determines priorities, and completes work and processing of information under tight deadlines.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Applicants should have a very good knowledge of general office work and be able to perform with accuracy and minimum supervision, the following duties, among others:
- Set up, compose, type, proofread and process to completion, and where required, have translated various documents that may include: correspondence, reports, agreements, proposals, reference manuals, presentations, news releases, forms and other documents, as required. Initiate follow-up where required.
- Perform general mail and email functions including: receiving, processing, responding to or forwarding incoming mail, and may require processing outgoing mailings and/or courier deliveries.
- Conduct information recording, gathering, processing, and dissemination functions which may include: taking minutes/notes of meetings, as required; data collecting, inputting, and updating of databases; performing data searches and inquiries and generating reports; sharing information on processes, policies and procedures with other employees; and manually and/or electronically disseminating information, including maintaining website information, where required.
- Perform receptionist functions such as: responding to and directing telephone inquiries to appropriate staff members; receiving and welcoming visitors, adhering to security sign-in procedures, directing visitors to appropriate staff member or location, opening or closing switchboard; and orienting reception staff, as required.
- Perform filing functions using manual and/or electronic file systems, updating reference manuals, and archiving, where required.
- Carry out scheduling functions including: arranging travel and accommodations; coordinating conferences, workshops, meetings, appointments and where required registration of participants and collecting of fees; updating calendars; and, gathering and preparing materials for meetings.
- Operate office equipment and ensure that it is maintained in good order.
- Maintain appropriate inventory of office supplies and/or materials, processing and verifying orders, where required.
- Provide assistance and back-up support to other staff, as assigned.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- Two years related work experience, ideally in a union environment;
- Business or Community College graduate in a relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- General knowledge of:
- administrative policies and procedures;
- CUPE political and organizational structure;
- Internet research techniques;
- databases and data management;
- role-based operational focus, where required;
- Ability to:
- speak and write at an above average level in both official languages;
- communicate effectively in a respectful and cooperative manner with the public,
- all staff, members, contractors, etc.;
- perform basic mathematical functions;
- work with minimal supervision;
- maintain confidentiality;
- meet deadlines and/or establish priorities while working in a high-pressure work setting;
- work with a high degree of accuracy;
- exemplify good organizational skills;
- solve problems, identify and correct discrepancies, and follow guidelines, where applicable;
- keyboard/type at 50 wpm;
- use advanced MS Office Suite and learn new software.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT as set out in the collective agreement between CUPE and COPE Local 491.
WEEKLY SALARY RANGE: $1,291.51 to $1,315.30 (plus 7% bilingual bonus)
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS: CUPE offers a significant benefits package including a superior Defined Benefits Pension Plan and an excellent Extended Health and Dental Care Plan, Prescription Drugs, Vision Care, Life Insurance, Long Term Disability coverage, and an Employee Assistance Program.
Persons interested should send their application and a copy of their résumé, quoting job posting number COPE-2136, to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com, no later than April 8, 2022.