Warning message

Please note that this page is from our archives. There may be more up-to-date content about this topic on our website. Use our search engine to find out.

MISSISSAUGA, Ont. – Red Cross Mississauga-Halton has agreed to resume negotiations on Wednesday, June 23, says the union representing 47 drivers who have been on strike since June 7.

We are prepared to stay at the table until we can achieve a fair first collective agreement for workers who provide an important service in the community,” said CUPE National Representative Helen Gibb-Gavel. “We hope the Red Cross is ready to do the same.”

The drivers provide transportation services for persons receiving dialysis, seniors attending day programs and other individuals whose disabilities mean they cannot use public transit. Some services, like the Passenger Attendant Program, are delivered under contract with the Region of Peel. The employer, Red Cross, set the clock ticking toward a strike or lockout last month when they requested a “no board” report from the provincially-appointed conciliator, said Gibb-Gavel.

Our members were prepared to keep services going, but the employer responded to their information pickets with threats of discipline and termination,” she said. “These are low-paid workers who earn significantly less than their Region of Peel counterparts who do similar work. It’s time for Red Cross to come to the table showing the respect and fairness that their employees deserve.”


For more information, contact:

Helen Gibb-Gavel, CUPE National Representative, 905-568-4664; cell 905-242-4207
Pat Daley, CUPE Communications, 416-616-6142