(Halifax) Lifetime Sackville resident Steve Blackmore has announced his candidacy for District 20 of HRM Council, in the upcoming municipal elections.
The 33-year-old father of two is an HRM outside worker, who will be taking a four-week leave from his employment (commencing today) to seek office at the municipal level.
Blackmore says he strongly believes that accountability is currently lacking at HRM council, and feels constituents are not getting a whole lot of say in the decision-making process.
He says other key issues in the October 16 election include:
- Fixing and replacing sidewalks, streets and aging, unsafe playground equipment
- Protecting the environment and green space in the District, citing the 60 acres at Second Lake which is currently being eyed by developers
- Ensuring any new Sackville-Burnside connector road does not become a toll highway
- Snow removal, which is becoming more of a priority in light of changing weather patterns
- Affordable housing for seniors who want to stay in the District after they sell their homes
Blackmore is a coach in the Sackville Minor Hockey League and sits on a variety of committees within his workplace.
(902) 209-1863 (Cell)