March 28, 2000, BurnabyCUPE has expressed cautious optimism at the decision by Premier Ujjal Dosanjh, to appoint an Industrial Inquiry (IIC) into the dispute between CUPE and the employers in the current K-12 school labour dispute. Vince Ready and Irene Holden are strong choices for Commissioners.
The Premier announced the IIC earlier this afternoon. Barry ONeill, CUPE BC president said, “The news is goodtoo late to avert a strike but soon enough to ensure that the strike does not last any longer than it needs to. Weve been calling on the government to intervene. We had hoped that it would be in time to prevent the closure of schools, but it wasnt. I can assure the premier and the public that CUPE will do everything to co-operate with the commissioners. Were waiting for the call.”
Gary Johnson, CUPE national representative and bargaining co-ordinator for the K-12 Sectoral Bargaining Committee (SBC) said, “The decision to act at this time is important and it will, without a doubt, clear up the confusion that has existed in this round of school bargaining and hopefully point the way to a settlement that will see schools open soon.”
Picket lines will stay up while Ready and Holden conduct the enquiry and until further notice CUPE will continue to co-operate with bargainingparticularly on local specific issues.
Louise Leclair, communications representative
(604) 291-1940 or (604) 454-4711(c)
Regular information updates regarding CUPE K-12 Sectoral Bargaining can be found at www.cupe.bc.ca/sbc