What we want
- The federal government needs to enact a national environmental protection plan that reduces greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions now.
- A national energy security policy that funds and addresses inter-provincial energy distribution, promoting clean energy sources, implementing just transition programs for workers and protecting Canada’s energy autonomy in trade agreements.
- Energy alternatives must be researched and developed in the public sector. Public ownership and operation of power generation will uphold the right to energy for a growing population.
How the Liberals have failed
- GHG emissions have risen 24 per cent after 12 years of Liberal government.
- Canada has become a worse polluter than the United States.
- The Liberals have given away our autonomy in power generation and increased fossil fuels exported to the U.S. under the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Why the Conservatives are worse
- Harper said he would reject the Kyoto accord and let corporations meet voluntary cuts to GHG emissions.
- Support from oil-rich Alberta means the Conservatives would reject moves to a green economy.
What the New Democrats say
- A proposed Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act means the NDP have a plan to reduce GHGs.
- The NDP would force industry to prove a chemical is safe before it goes to market under the proposed Polluter Pay and Toxic Pollution Reduction Act.
- In early 2005 the NDP forced the Liberals to commit $900 million to energy efficiency retrofit programs and public transit.