Warning message

Please note that this page is from our archives. There may be more up-to-date content about this topic on our website. Use our search engine to find out.
According to income tax regulations, “union assistance,” what we call strike pay, is not considered “income from a source,” and so is considered non-taxable.

However if your local employs you, say to answer phones or perform some other regular work during a strike, that income is taxable.

To hear it from the horse’s mouth, read this Canada Revenue Agency bulletin on allowances.