What we want
- Fair trade agreements that sustain and support workers, social justice, the environment and Canada’s autonomy instead of free trade that works only for business interests.
- Fair trade that protects and expands public services like water, education, health care, energy and child care.
- All trade agreements must include international labour standards and labour adjustment programs for workers affected by changing economic policies.
How the Liberals have failed
- After 10 years of the North American Free Trade Agreement, Canadians’ standard of living is falling, our social programs are being reduced and privatized, and more people are working part-time, insecure jobs with no benefits.
- The Liberals are pushing the Free Trade Agreement of the Americas (FTAA) and the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS). These agreements will further harm working people while increasing corporate profits.
- These agreements limit Canada’s ability to intervene in our economy, create and protect good jobs also provide and expand public services.
Why the Conservatives are worse
- The Conservatives brought in the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with the United States to the disadvantage of all working people and Canada’s autonomy over its resources.
- The Conservatives are supporters of NAFTA, the FTAA and the GATS.
What the New Democrats say
- The NDP wants to replace current trade agreements with fair trade based on respect for labour standards, human rights and environmental sustainability.
- They are ready to impose export duties on oil and gas if the U.S violates NAFTA.