Health is a fundamental human right for all citizens and it is the duty of all governments to ensure that right.
Public health care shall be provided in accordance with the following principles:
- Universality: health care shall be available to 100 per cent of the population.
- Accessibility: there shall be no barriers of access to health.
- Comprehensiveness: health services shall include: medical, hospital, physician services, drugs, mental health, care for the frail, elderly and disabled, social security, and all social and ancillary services.
- Affordability of drugs: governments shall ensure that medically necessary drugs are affordable for its citizens.
- Integration: all health services and social security shall be a single integrated system designed to improve social determinants of health (e.g., economic condition, education, housing, environment, employment, working conditions).
- Funding: health care shall be available to citizens at no cost with no user fees or extra charges.
- Health as a common social good: health services shall not be treated as market goods and shall be delivered by public sector workers in not-for-profit facilities and settings.
- Free collective bargaining: All health care workers shall have the right to form unions and to bargain collective agreements freely.
- All governments guarantee health for their citizens and provide health care in accordance with the above principles.
- Health and health care services be excluded from all free trade agreements.
We support the following actions:
- Promote International Health Workers’ Day on April 7 of each year with actions and campaigns in each country.
- Take action collectively to protest trade agreements.
- Continue to fight the privatization of health care in each of our countries.
- Fight for public pensions and worker control of all pension plans.
- Condemn regimes everywhere (but especially in Colombia) that seek to repress popular support for unions and public services for citizens.
- Affirm our support for the Cuban people’s struggle to preserve their self-determination and condemn the genocidal embargo that they have been subject to for more than 40 years.
- Express our solidarity and support for the Venezuelan people and the Bolivarian Revolutionary Process.
- Support a communications network, including a web site, to disseminate information.