Letter of Understanding Re: Staffing Review
Whereas the parties recognize that there may be a proliferation of regular positions having a low EFT (equivalent to full-time) and a proliferation of utilization of casual work;
And whereas by minimizing the use of casual work, the parties agree that there will be the potential to convert casual employment into regular employment status;
And whereas the parties wish to investigate and address these issues:
Now therefore the parties have agreed that these issues will be examined utilizing the following guidelines:
- When it is determined by the Employer that a vacancy will be filled, the Employer and the Union will examine the potential of reallocating part, or all of the vacant EFT or part-time positions, in accordance with the collective agreement, to qualified part-time employees within the relevant classification, within the service department/ patient care union, within the site or within the Facility.
- Part-time employees who wish to increase their EFT under the provisions of this Letter of Understanding will be required to indicate in writing to the Employer within 60 days of ratification of the Collective Agreement and no later than May 1 of each year thereafter.
- The Employer and the Union will meet in order to identify the most appropriate method of reallocating such EFT. Unless otherwise mutually agreed, such reallocation will not require job posting under Article 14 or invoking of any provisions of Article 23.
- In the event that mutual agreement cannot be reached regarding the reallocation of additional hours, a regular part-time position will then be posted.
- The nature and the rate of utilization of additional hours (including casual hours) worked will be examined by the Employer and the Union on a semi-annual basis, during the second and fourth quarter of each calendar year, to determine whether such hours may be incorporated into regular positions or, whether regular or term positions could be created based on operational need. If it is determined that regular or term positions will be created, the Union and the Employer will meet to discuss the process under which the newly created positions will be posted or allocated.
- New letters of employment will be issued when an employee’s EFT is increased or a casual employee is confirmed to regular employment.