Help to recognize the achievement and activism of a CUPE member with a disability or that a CUPE chartered organization has made to advance disability rights in our union.
Nominations are now open for CUPE’s National Disability Rights Activism Award. The award is presented biennially at the national convention.
The award recognizes activism in CUPE by a member or retiree with a disability, a local or district council whose actions for members with disabilities have:
- Improved working conditions;
- Improved conditions for involvement in the union;
- Achieved important victories;
- Established precedents for rights, policies or practices;
- Helped to eliminate barriers; and
- Educated CUPE members about disability-related issues.
CUPE locals, divisions or equality committees at any level of CUPE can nominate a member or retiree with a disability, a CUPE local or district council for this award.
The winner will be selected by three persons appointed by the National Officers, including one of the co-chairs of the National Persons with Disabilities Committee.
The award winner will receive a commemorative plaque and CUPE will make a donation to a social justice organization of their choice.
Nominations must be submitted no later than July 25, 2023.