Young workers, including workers of color and Aboriginal youth, face unique health and safety challenges. Most employers do not provide adequate information or training about the hazards these workers will face on the job. The experience of CUPEs health and safety activists provides an opportunity to merge their knowledge with the drive of young workers to confront the employers health and safety agenda.
CUPE will develop and help deliver training and information for young workers that:
- Documents the history and politics of health and safety struggles.
- Bridges the age gap between experienced activists and youth.
- Outlines the rights of young workers to safe and healthy work.
- Documents the unique hazards faced by young workers.
- Explains where and how to get assistance when they have problems.
- Ensure that young workers know that a healthy and safe workplace is one
without harassment and discrimination.