CUPE is the voice of nearly 200,000 public sector and public service workers in Ontario – people who work on the front lines in hospitals, municipalities, utilities, long-term care facilities, social service agencies, schools and universities. As members of dozens of different Ontario pension plans in both the public and private sector, CUPE members have substantial first-hand experience and knowledge to contribute to the work of the Expert Commission on Pensions (“the Commission”).
This brief focuses on the following issues that are of particular concern to CUPE members:
- Pension fund and surplus security
- Public-Private Partnerships (P3s) and other risky pension investment trends
- Raising minimum standards
- Improving plan governance
- Declining DB pension coverage and benefit inadequacy