A series of training sessions for this campaign will be held in several cities this fall and winter. The main thrust of the campaign involves lobbying provincial and federal governments to make bold new changes that will secure pensions for all workers.
The principal demands of the campaign are:
- Double benefits for the Canada Pension Plan (CPP).
- Increase low-income (GIS) pensions by 15%.
- Introduce a national system of pension insurance.
In making these proposals, we are championing the same progressive values that changed our health care system with the advent of Medicare more than forty years ago. We can make a similar choice for pensions today and create a system where no Canadian is left behind.
Forum Locations and Details
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- St. John’s Holiday Inn, Portugal Cove Road, Tuesday November 3, 2009, 9:00 am. In conjunction with Newfoundland & Labrador Federation of Labour Convention; open to the public.
- New Brunswick
- Bathurst, USW Union Hall, Wednesday November 4, 2009, 7:00 pm. (Bilingual event).
- Saint-John, Courtney Bay Inn, Tuesday November 3, 2009, 7:00 pm. (Bilingual event).
- British Columbia
- Justice Institute, New Westminster, November 5, 2009, 6:30 pm.
Forums will also be coming up in the next few months in Windsor, Sudbury, Toronto, Ottawa, and St. Catharine’s (Ontario), in Brandon and Winnipeg (Manitoba), and in Edmonton and Calgary (Alberta).
To find out more about any of these events, or for questions, get in touch with the Canadian Labour Congress.