The National Executive Board adopted this resolution on child care at its March 2006 meeting.
- Make child care a political action priority for the entire union.
- Work with child care coalitions, as part of the Blue Code Campaign for child care, to pressure the federal government, the federal opposition parties, and the provincial governments to honour the federal-provincial bilateral agreements on child care.
- Mobilize CUPE members to speak out and take action to reverse Prime Minister Harper’s cancellation of the federal-provincial child care agreements. This will include:
- setting a goal of adding 50,000 CUPE signatures on the Code Blue Campaign open letter;
- inviting child care advocates to speak to CUPE meetings about the crisis in child care and the Code Blue Campaign;
- organizing rank and file participation in Code Blue Campaign activities such as community town hall meetings, lobbying, and rallies;
- participating in the CLC lobby of MPs scheduled for April and May;
- Organizing CUPE employers to oppose the cancellation of the federal-provincial agreements and making their opposition known to the media.
- Allocate staff, financial and material resources for CUPE’s child care campaign work including a $100,000 donation to the Code Blue Campaign.