A record number of CUPE members and retirees are stepping up to the plate in this year’s municipal and school board elections in Nova Scotia.
CUPE Nova Scotia President Danny Cavanagh says, “I am very excited to see all of these brave women and men putting their names forward as candidates in the October 20 elections right across the province.
“I think it speaks volumes about our democracy when working people express the desire to represent their communities in this way. As public employees, they also understand the vital role that public services – like our public school system and our municipal and county governments – play in creating strong and vibrant communities and, yes, local economies,” says Cavanagh.
The CUPE members running for office in 2012 are:
- Local 835, Gillian Rowley, Councillor At Large, Town of Yarmouth
- Local 2525, Kelly Milner, District 7 Cumberland County
- Local 4623, Daniel Rector, Cumberland County District 7
- Local 5047, Ian Wilson, District 15, Lower Sackville HRM
- CUPE Staff, Larry Power, District 5 Lunenburg County
- Local 1867 Donnie MacDonald, District 2 County of Antigonish
- Local 281, Steven Cotter, Councillor At Large Town of Trenton
- Local 955, Shirley McNamara, District 5 Richmond (acclaimed)
- Local 2272, Malcolm Madden, District 5Municipality of Argyle
- Local 3890 (retiree) Terry Rhindress, Councillor At Large, Town of Amherst
- Local 2525, Karen MacKenzie, District 6, Colchester County
- Local 2525, Dawn McCully, Councillor At Large, Town of Parrsboro
- Local 5047, Jackie Barkhouse, HRM, District 3, Dartmouth South-Eastern Passage
- Local 835, Linda Gregory, District 3, Municipality of Digby
- Local 2858, Gail Smith, Town of Middleton (acclaimed)
- Local 5050, Dave LeBlanc, District 11CBRM
- Local 964, Murray Goodwin, District 2 Municipality of Yarmouth (acclaimed)
Cavanagh says, “All of these candidates have been endorsed by their locals as well as CUPE Nova Scotia. We believe they will make a valuable contribution to their respective communities. We wish them all the best of luck.”