The purpose of this policy is to outline the steps that can be taken to provide locals who are on strike for prolonged periods of time with additional support.
First of all, CUPE National will assist the locals and provincial divisions, on request, to launch appeals within the region, division or sector. As well, all strikes will be featured regularly in the FastFacts, and will include information on where support can be sent.
Secondly, CUPE National will launch a national appeal for strike support for any local that has been on strike for at least three (3) months. This time limit is required to ensure that the number of appeals is not too high, making them less effective.
In order to launch a national appeal, the following conditions must be met:
- The executive members of the local concerned, in cooperation with their union representative, must submit a written request to the relevant Regional Director and Division President. Their request must specify the following:
- strike or lock-out issues
- job action taken
- what type of national appeal they would like (adopt a striker, general donation, support letters, etc.)
- purpose of the money collected
- amounts collected and expended will be reported to CUPE National at the end of the strike with other Final Strike reports.
- Once the request is approved by the Regional Director and Division President, it will be forwarded to CUPE National Officers.
- Once the request has been approved by the National Officers, the appeal will be sent to all CUPE locals across the country.
Approved at the November 2002 National Executive Board Meeting