Regina: Union members and community groups are organizing a major rally and march on Friday, June 13, to stop the Regina QuAppelle Regional Health Authority from implementing a plan to contract-out food services.
Under the half-baked scheme, the kitchens at the Pasqua Hospital and Wascana Rehabilitation Centre would be closed and more than 60 dietary positions eliminated. The goal of the health regions new rethermalized food system is to out-source 90% - 100% of the meals served to patients.
Details of the rally and march are as follows:
Rally begins at Wascana Rehabilitation Centre (north side).
- Joe Roberts, Saskatchewan Health Coalition
- Peter Gilmer, Regina Anti-Poverty Ministry
- Representative from the Regina Legion
- 11:30 a.m.
March to T.C. Douglas Building and Saskatchewan Health, then on to the provincial legislature.
- 12 noon
Rally continues at the provincial legislature.
- Verda Petry, President Saskatchewan Seniors Mechanism
- Pat Gallagher, Regina Health Coalition
- Sherry Richter, Sask. Society of Nutrition Management
- Colleen Tomczak, cook and dietary aide at Regina General
- Tom Graham, President CUPE Saskatchewan
Attend public meeting of Regina QuAppelle Health Region
Wascana Rehabilitation Centre Auditorium
- 30 -
For information contact:
Beth Smillie at 525-5874, extension 229.