CUPE logo links to home page

Do I have to pay income tax on strike pay?

Feb 23, 2005 10:02 AM
According to income tax regulations, "union assistance," what we call strike pay, is not considered "income from a source," and so is considered non-taxable.

However if your local employs you, say to answer phones or perform some other regular work during a strike, that income is taxable.

To hear it from the horse's mouth, read this Canada Revenue Agency bulletin on allowances.