CUPE begins strike preparation schools for hospital workers
(New Glasgow) – The Canadian Union of Public Employees will begin a series of strike preparation schools for hospital workers across the province today.
CUPE Acute Care Co-ordinator Wayne Thomas says, “The first of eight strike schools gets underway today in Bridgewater for our members in DHA 1. The half-day sessions are put on by our Union Development department and are designed to inform and educate union members about preparing for a possible work stoppage some time in the new year.”
The other seven strike schools will take place as follows:
• December 14 – DHA 5 in Amherst
• December 15 – DHA 4 in Truro
• December 15 – DHA 8 in Sydney
• December 16 – DHA 2 in Yarmouth
• December 16 – DHA 6 in Stellarton
• December 17 – DHA 3 in Coldbrook
• December 19 – DHA 7 in Antigonish
Fourteen of 18 groups of CUPE hospital workers across the province (outside the Capital District) have already completed their strike votes. The remaining four will be wrapped up by tomorrow.
CUPE announced in November there would be no job action in the hospital sector before January 11, 2010 because of the H1N1 pandemic.
Wayne Thomas John McCracken
CUPE Acute Care Co-ordinator CUPE Communications Rep.
(902) 759-1057 (Cell) 455-4180 (o)