The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) and its affiliates have developed a campaign on pensions and CUPE is proud to take action on behalf of our current and retired members.
CUPE is working with our labour and social justice partners on these objectives by lobbying provincial and federal governments to make bold new changes that will secure pensions for all workers, including:
- Defined benefit pension plans to be a mandatory condition of employment;
- Expansion and improvement of the Canada Pension Plan/Quebec Pension Plan such that secure defined pension benefits are available to more Canadians and the benefits are increased;
- Improvements to Old Age Security;
- Portability of pensions plans and protection of plans when employers go out of business;
- Convening a national pension summit to develop a serious program for restructuring the Canadian pension system.
The CLC is organizing a series of campaign training sessions in a number of cities across the country, from September 25 thru Oct 6. It would be great if you could attend a session when it comes to your area - see the list of sessions at the bottom of this page.
As well, Brother Paul Moist has written to all retired staff and retired CUPE members to share information about the important initiatives CUPE is working on regarding pensions, as well as to give them information about CUPE’s support for the Congress of Union Retirees of Canada.