Stew•ard (stoo’ erd, styoo’ erd) n. keeper, guardian, advocate, activist v. to protect - bedrock of the union –
In Montreal, convention delegates chose 2010 to shine the light on stewards. As part of the Year of the Steward, CUPE’s Union Development Department has embarked on a new approach to steward education; one that both acknowledges the important role stewards play and provides them with a wide range of education opportunities to help them do their jobs and build activism in the union.
The Steward Learning Series is a series of three-hour modules to provide in-depth education for stewards as grievance handlers, advocates, problem solvers, communicators, leaders, workplace organizers, and human rights’ champions.
The materials for the Year of the Seward will be available from your education representative over the next few months.
During the Year of the Steward watch for:
- CUPE’s new Steward Learning Series, starting in spring 2010
- A new CUPE steward pin
- A new steward handbook
- Steward corners at division conventions, where stewards can connect
- A steward corner on the CUPE website
- On-line profiles of CUPE stewards
- An electronic steward newsletter